Surely you have heard about LMS platforms, and you may be surprised to know what it is about other than how e-learning, virtual learning, online, or tele -training platforms are known.
Do You Know The LMS Or Learning Management System Platforms?
E-learning platforms, also called Learning Management System (LMS), for their acronym in English, are learning management systems carried out in a virtual space that facilitates the training of people at a distance, both privately and for companies and educational institutions.
It is a type of software generally installed on a web server, which offers the opportunity to create a virtual campus for online training.
In virtual classrooms or campuses, interaction takes place between teachers and students and between students themselves and the realization of forums, chats, interactive activities, evaluations, file exchange, and a variety of educational resources.
E-learning platforms, educational platforms, or virtual teaching and learning environments are the current technological base of most training courses. Its development and use have transformed teaching spaces, both traditional and virtual, due to its essential contribution as a tool to improve and enrich learning, a highly complex task.
Benefits And Advantages Of Online Learning Platforms
The main objective of an e-learning platform is to enable the creation and management of teaching and learning spaces on the Internet, in which tutors and students can interact during the training process.
Using the appropriate language in creating content and an easy, intuitive and flexible design are determining elements in the success of an e-learning platform. The online platforms that allow training eLearning, as we discussed in another post (characteristics, types, and eLearning platforms most commonly used), provide multiple benefits, among which are:
- Flexible and inexpensive training.
- The use of technological tools to reduce travel time and geographical distances.
- The possibility of constant learning through the fluid interaction between teachers and students.
- Minimum knowledge requirements for easy handling and freedom in the self-learning rhythm.
LMS can work perfectly to complement face-to-face training both for a college or university and carry out utterly online training for company employees or the general public. They are adapted to the requirements of the training activity and of people and institutions and represent a significant saving in time and financial resources.
Main Functions Of LMS Platforms
Although each platform has its resources, the tools included in the LMS platforms according to www.allegromediadesign.com generally allow five main functions to be performed:
The administration of the virtual space on this feature facilitates user management operations such as modifications, removed, or class list course, role definition, control, and monitoring of access, among others.
Likewise, it allows the configuration of the template format, the incorporation of new parts or the elimination of some of them, and the definition of the criteria that allow the visibility of the resources included in the platform.
- Participant communication: these facilitate interaction between teachers and students, and among students themselves, through email, forums, calendar, and notifications; or chats or electronic whiteboard.
- Content management: e-Learning platforms have file storage and management system, through which different basic operations can be carried out, such as viewing, organizing in folders and subfolders, copying and pasting, deleting, and compressing them, loading and unloading. The system has organized and selective publication of content, and some even allow basic content creation.
- Managing work in groups: they provide mechanisms to carry out user registration, modification, or deletion in groups and create virtual scenarios that enable collaborative work, such as file exchange, content publication, forums, or chats private for each group.
- Monitoring and evaluation: through this function, evaluations, self-correction or correction, rating, and publication of ratings are created, edited, and carried out, and the results and progress obtained by each participant are displayed.